In this episode join Despina Karatzias for a conversation about Tourism in Distress, The Good, Bad, and the Unique Opportunities Ahead ie the good, bad and the unique opportunities facing the tourism industry with Simon Westaway from Australian Tourism Industry Council.
Key Learnings and A-HA Moments from Simon:
- At the time of recording, SA has opened their border to NSW.
- Biggest learning from COVID is diversity of customer is key
- Join an industry organisation and see how they engage at a state and federal level
- Get to know your local MP both state and federal
- Once things get to a level or normality, people will want to travel again and that sentiment will not change
- Look around at your competitors and see what they’re doing well, be nimble.
- You must have a domestic audience (it’s our core market)
- Believe in your product, yourself, and customer service.
- You must have a fantastic digital platform, look at online booking engines.
- Doing SWOT analysis is a very healthy thing to do
- If your market’s not working, change it. You need to be nimble if your strategy isn’t working.
- Follow your passion points and interest
Resources and Links Simon Loves:
Show hosted by Despina Karatzias and brought to you by Tourism Hub in association with Institute Of Excellence.
Follow us on social media for updates
Facebook: Institute of Excellence | Tourism Hub Podcast | Despina Karatzias
Instagram: @instituteofexcellencehq | @tourismhubpodcast | @desikaratzias
YouTube: Institute of Excellence | Despina Karatzias