In this episode, I chat with Adrian Byrt, Relationship Consultant & Events at Victoria Tourism Industry Council (VTIC). This is Victoria’s peak leadership organisation talking all things ‘Visitors, Values and Victoria Tourism Industry Council’.
First of all, in mid-2016 I had an opportunity to join the VTIC team to manage the Victorian state program. It is called ATAP which is the acronym for Australian Tourism Accreditation Program. We love those acronyms!
As a result, I had the opportunity to work in close collaboration with tourism professionals that I have loved and admired for many years. Consequently, this experience was also a great insight into the inner workings of the visitor economy. Therefore it was a new experience at corporate level life and a greater appreciation for corporate governance. Much as I love small business this is something you are not exposed to working in smaller organisations and the experience was invaluable.
Furthermore, I worked with a passionate team. As Adrian rightly points out in our chat together, ‘they deliver a mountain of work’ for their members and wider visitor economy.
So, this episode is a great insight into Adrian’s journey in tourism. In addition, he shares some solid advice and gold nuggets that new and seasoned experience makers will benefit from what Adrian has generously shared.
Key insights shared in this episode include:
- Important to get clear on creating your own set of values.
- Consistency in all you do when managing relationships.
- The best way to calm nerves when public speaking is to think about the impact you are making and value you are giving to benefit your audience.
- Set your goals, stay quiet about them, smash them and celebrate quietly to yourself.
Links and Resources Mentioned In This Episode:
- Vic Tourism Conference 24-25 July 17, Flemington Racecourse
- VTC Theme Lights, Camera, Action Blog
- Destination Melbourne – MTLP
- Connect with Adrian – LinkedIn | Twitter
Tourism Hub is a weekly podcast dedicated to you and your excellence.
Finally, if you want to help ignite the tourism industry with a message of greatness ‘Subscribe on iTunes‘ and stay connected with special experience maker interviews, insights and inspiration to grow your tourism business and career.