In November 2017, the Victorian Tourism Awards gala night at Crown Palladium celebrated 30 categories of winning tourism businesses in their respective categories! This was the second Victorian gala event I conducted live interviews after winners were announced.
As an extension to the mini-interviews with a selected few experience makers on the night of nights, I will bring the winner journeys in their business and career on the Tourism Hub Podcast to share their story with you.
Lakshmi Cashmore, Industry Training and Development Manager at Tourism Greater Geelong & The Bellarine was the winner of 2017 Tourism Education and Training category.
In Episode 10, I deep dive with Lakshmi to discover what motivated her to enter the tourism awards, how she tackled the process, what she learned and her career journey to date.
Key insights shared in this episode include:
- When you're passionate about what you do it's easy to write and talk about your work.
- Feel the fear and follow through on your ideas.
- Melbourne Tourism Leadership Program and the impact it has had on Lakshmi personally and professionally.
- The benefits of starting a project with a blank canvas
- Working at Disney World and key highlights (and lowlights) from that experience.
- The importance of having a mentor to help you get out of your brain.
- Being nervous is good for you because it means you are doing something that is important to you!
- The habit of being organised.
Links and Resources Mentioned In This Episode:
If you want to help ignite the tourism industry with a message of greatness ‘Subscribe on iTunes‘ and stay connected with special experience maker interviews, insights and inspiration to grow your tourism business and career. You can also join a private community of tourism industry professionals on the Your Tourism Excellence Facebook Group.